EDUCATION / ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
- Medical Degree from University College Dublin (1972).
- Held the positions of Intern. Senior House Officer and Registrar at
the Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin. (1972 – 1975)
- MB, Bch, BAO University College Dublin. (1972)
- Gastroenterology Fellowship in CHU, Nice (1975 to 1977).
- Senior Registrar at Northwick Park Hospital, London.
(1977 – 1982).
- MSc in Biochemistry University of London. (1982)
- Fogarty Fellow at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine,
New York. (1983 – 1985).
- Diploma in Immunology University of London. (1983)
- MD Thesis from the National University of Ireland. (1983).
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. (1986).
- Fellow of European Board of Gastroenterology. (1997)
- Fellow of the American College of Gastroenterology. (1998).
- D.Sc. from the University of London (1998).
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London). ( 2001).
- Fellow of Trinity College Dublin. (2005).
- Membre d’Honneur Etranger” from the Societe Royale Belge de
Gastroenterogie for his work on nutritional treatment of Crohn’s
- “Hetenyi Geza” Memorial Medallion Award from the Hungarian
Society of Gastroenterology for his outstanding work in
- Max Surela Award from the Finish Society of Gastroenterology for
his work on discovering the association between Helicobacter pylori
and duodenal ulcer. (2002)
POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist Adelaide and Meath
Hospital, incorporating the National Children’s Hospital
(1985 – present).
- Gastroenterology Committee of the Medical Research Council of
Ireland. (1986 to 1996)
- Founder Member of European Helicobacter Pylori Study
- Director of Clinical Studies, Trinity College Dublin (1988 – 1992)
- Secretary, Treasurer and President of the Irish Society of
Gastroenterology (1988 to 2004).
- Academic Head of Department at the Meath/Adelaide Hospitals,
Trinity College Dublin (1991- present).
- Founder member of the European Board of Gastroenterology.
(1992 – 1996)
- An elected member of the Council of the British Society of
Gastroenterology. (1993 to 1996).
- The Irish Affairs Committee of the Medical Defence Union.
(1995 to 1998).
- Vice-President of the Association of the European and Mediterranean
Gastroenterological Societies in 1995 and was President from 1997
- Irish representative of the European Union Specialist Section of
Gastroenterology. (1995 to 2002)
- The Scientific Committee of the European Cancer Prevention Group.
- Gastro Surgical Club. (1998)
- International Organisation of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- The Governing Council of the Irish Medical Organisation. (2000 – 2002)
- Elected member of the Meath foundation. (2000 to present)
- Bockus International Society of Gastroenterology. (1990 to present).
- Member of the UEGF Council. (2000 to 2002)
- European Representative of OMGE, the World Organisation of
Gastroenterology. (2000 to 2002).
- Elected member of the Hospital Board, Strategic and Finance Committee,
Adelaide and Meath Hospital. (2002 to present)
- Professor of Medicine at Trinity College, Dublin. (2002 to present).
- European Crohn’s Colitis Organisation (2003 to present).
- Dublin Dental Hospital Board Committee. (2004 to present)
- Chairman of the Ethics Committee. (2004 to present)
- Chairman of the Public Affairs Committee of the United European
Gastroenterology Federation. (2006 to present)
- Elected member of the Executive Council of the United European
Gastroenterology Federation (2006 to present)
- Elected member of St. Luke’s Hospital Foundation (2006 to present)
- Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences, Trinity College Dublin (2006 to