EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS:
Graduated in Medicine, University of Rome
Specialized in Liver and Metabolic Disease, University of Rome
Specialized in Gastroenterology, University of Rome
Specialized in Clinical Oncology, University of Torino
1967 - 1979
Staff member and then Assistant Director at the Cancer Prevention
Center, “Regina Elena” Institute for Cancer Research in Rome. Director of the Gastroenterology Unit.
1980 – 2002
Director of the Cancer Prevention Center and Head of the Gastroenterology Section, “Regina Elena” National Cancer Institute
2002 - Present
Emeritus Professor and Chairman of the Council of Emeritus
Professors at the Cancer Institute and Responsible for the International Affairs of the Institute.
1966 - 2002:
Professor in the Institute of Medical Therapy, University of Rome
Professor of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Postgraduate School of Gastroenterology, University of Rome
1960 - 1966
Resident at the Liver and Metabolic Diseases Unit, University of Rome
SCIENTIFIC AND HONORARY POSITIONS:
1979 - Present
Director of the Italian Section of the WHO Collaborating Center for Stomach Cancer and Member of the Panel of Experts for Cancer of WHO
1988 - 1992
President of the European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE)
1996 - 1998 President of the World Organization of Digestive Endoscopy (OMED)
1999 - 2005
Responsible for the Technical Secretariat of the World Organization of Digestive Endoscopy (OMED)
2000 - 2005
Member of the Scientific Committee of the Italian Cancer League
2007 – on
Secretary General of the Mediterranean Task Force for Cancer Control (MTCC)
- Honorary Member of the French, Hungarian, Polish and Slovak Societies
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (UK).
- Past Vice-President of the Italian Society of Gastroenterology (SIGE) and
the Italian Society of Digestive Endoscopy (SIED).
- Honorary Member of the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
(ASGE) and Fellow and past Governor of the American College of
- Past-Chairman of the United European Gastroenterology Federation
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journals, “Digestive Endoscopy
(Japan)”, “Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology” and “Arab Journal of
- Author of 225 scientific papers in Italian and international Journals mostly
related to GI cancer primary and secondary prevention.